I recently wrote about spending less and my happiness level. In that post I mentioned that I am happy spending less and the key to my happiness was keeping a balance in my spending. What I mean is that I didn’t cut everything fun out of my budget I just spend less in each category. And so I’m still able to enjoy the fun things in moderation.
After writing this post I watched a 60 minutes report about the 90+ study. The study follows the lives of men and women in their 90s to determine what allowed them to live into their 90s and beyond. The findings were that most of these 90+ men and women were not really doing anything extreme rather they lived their lives in moderation.
Here are some of the results I found interesting:
- Exercise helps you live longer. No surprise there but the interesting thing is that all you need is 15 minutes a day and 45 minutes was the best. Not even 3 hours beat 45 minutes a day. The other interesting thing about this is that you can split those 45 minutes up through out the day. Hmmm…maybe you don’t need that Gym membership after all. A little yard work/gardening, a little walk, a little bike ride and you’re Done!
- Socializing is one of the best things you can do to live a longer life. Enjoy those times you get to go out or invite friends over
- Moderate consumption of alcohol helps you live longer! And best of all, it’s not just wine, it can be any alcohol
- Caffeine Lover? Enjoying 1 to 3 cups a day will help you live longer
- Gaining weight? Well, guess what? It’s good to be a little overweight when your older. So, enjoy that dessert.
- Oh and Vitamins….they really don’t do much for you
Everything in moderation. Can it really be that simple? Well I think we have the proof we need from these 90+ men and women.
I know that being able to keep those few fun things in my budget have really made it easier for me to pay down my debt. I mean it’s not fun being miserable and it appears that you will live longer if you don’t take extreme measures. So, I think I’ll continue my strategy of consuming less in moderation.
This was a very interesting article. You should check it out. Here is the link.
Are you living life in moderation? Are you consuming less in moderation? Do you think extremes are ok? Do you want to live to 90 and beyond?
Photo by: Flickr