Last week I wrote about Lessons Learned in 2013 and how this year we plan to continue finding ways to save money by reducing our expenses. This will help us payoff our credit card debt sooner and build a healthier emergency fund.
I stated that we will be focusing on two key areas in 2014, groceries and cell phones, and asked for some tips from our readers. Below are the tips we received in the comments.
1) Tips on Reducing Grocery Bill
- Go grocery shopping every other week and make a list of things you need
- Go shopping alone
- Save money by planning meals ahead of time and try to look for meals that require less meat or meals that use beans
- Use coupons
- Buy mostly what is on sale that week
- Buy at Target, Aldi and Asian or other Diverse Supermarkets
- Cut back on meats or go to butchers for lower pricing
2) Tips on Reducing Cell Phone Bill
- Move from the contract cell plan to prepaid cell plan
- Consider Walmart Family Mobile serviced by T-Mobile
- Consider Ting serviced by Sprint
- Consider Republic Wireless serviced by Sprint
Thanks to everyone who left a tip in the comments. We are implementing some of the grocery tips such as meal planning, meatless day to reduce the use of meats, using coupons, shopping more at Aldi, Target and Diverse Supermarkets, and shopping only once per week instead of 3 to 4 times per week as I’ve been doing.
In the Cell Phone arena, we did some serious research on Republic Wireless this past week. Then, we found out from Grayson over at Debt Roundup that Republic Wireless has a giveaway going on right now where you can win a free Moto X phone and one year of free service. So, we signed up for the giveaway and if we don’t win we are going to buy the Moto X for $299 from them and test out the service. They have a 30 day money back guarantee so we have nothing to lose. My husband will be the first one making the switch so we’ll see how it goes.
Home Improvement – Goals/Projects
We have a few projects pending on our home.
- We really need to replace our front door
- We have to replace a retaining wall in the back yard
- We also want a new privacy fence around the house but that may have to wait until 2015
- We need to buy a lawnmower as we have decided to get rid of our landscaper and do it ourselves
- We also need to buy a snow blower. This past week we got hit with a nice size snowstorm (the 4th one this season!) and we have a pretty large driveway and property to clear out
- Get ahead of my posting schedule. To help me do this I downloaded an editorial calendar from DC over at Young Adult Money
- Increase posting frequency
- Increase followers and get more social on Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites
- Submit to Carnivals
Well that is what’s in store for us in 2014. Thank you all in the PF blogging community for stopping by this blog in 2013 and leaving your comments, subscribing and for your overall support. I look forward to interacting, learning, and keeping in touch with all of you in 2014.
If you have any tips on our home improvement goals/projects or any of the other goals please let us know in the comments.
This post was featured on LivingWellSpendingLess.com Thrifty Thursday Week 42